Sean Cheetham | The Whipping Course
Harder, longer, better.
Students: 12 minimum – 18 maximum
Price: Starting at 2.695€
Includes: Full accommodation, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and airport shuttle
Days: 8 days workshop, 9 nights in residency
- Reception: October 21st, 2021
- Workshop: October 22nd to 29th, 2021
- Check out: October 30th, 2021
Time: 9:30AM-6PM, includes 1,5 hours of lunch break & coffee
Language: English. The workshop assistant speaks Spanish, Catalan and English
Location: Biniatram, Menorca (Spain)
Cohabitation: students stay at the same house as Sean Cheetham
Models: Two models at a time every session
Covid-19: read our Covid-19 Guideline
Who is this workshop for?
Romanticism stops being beautiful when it prevents you from painting with enough agility to make a living out of it, right?
Schools are good at manufacturing teachers, but not that good at manufacturing professional artists. If you suspect that you will not be able to make a living out of painting, using the methods that they taught you, this is your workshop.
This workshop is an antidote for those who feel poisoned by complicated and slow methods. For those who have the feeling of wasting their time in an unsatisfactory, overworked and flat outcome.
Do you want to learn to be highly efficient and save key resources? Sean Cheetham will teach you only the keywords, the core, the useful stuff. And, believe me, you will be amazed watching him paint during the demos.
Sean Cheetham will change the way you build your painting, detaching yourself from the romantic clichés, rituals and nonsense complications that stretch out the execution of your painting while diluting the outcome.
So take a deep breath and keep in mind that you should leave some habits buried in Menorca.
Perfect for you if…
- You are annoyed by ceremonial techniques, which are more focused on romantic issues than in obtaining a good outcome.
- You want to learn the keys to paint quickly and efficiently, getting good results without wasting your time.
- You would love to meet more people like you, participate in art talks and live with Sean Cheetham.
NOT for you if…
- You do not believe in the principles of efficiency and productivity, and you think that a painting should not be focused on getting an outcome.
- You love the rituals in painting, to progress little by little and the romanticism that surrounds the traditional execution.
- You’re not a fan of socializing with other artists, participating in talks, etc.
What will you learn?
We won’t lie: at a eight-day workshop, you will not learn to paint portraits like the one the teacher does in an hour. Because this guy is unbeatable...
However, you will learn that there is a middle ground between what Sean Cheetham does, and the never-ending ceremonial they teach at neoconservative academies.
When you see Sean painting you will quickly realize that it’s not necessary to have a model posing for two weeks in order to make a good portrait. There are other ways of observing, painting and learning. Behind everything, Sean teaches there are a specific use and purpose.
At his point, you should know that every lesson tends to be forgotten. But Sean provokes a reaction to a need, and one's reactions are never forgotten.
You will also begin to question dubious moral values, such as the superiority of life painting, or that digital painting can’t compete with analogical painting. None of these dogmas has a solid foundation and they should not cut your wings.
In addition to teaching efficient techniques from illustration, Sean will open your eyes so you stop relying on schools and start a path of self- learning, working on exercises that maximize your capacity for reaction, speed, and memorability.